- Have you ever made a promise that you knew you couldn’t keep? What were the circumstances of your promise?
- Read Matthew 5:33-37. The Pharisees had elaborate formulas for oaths, with some being binding and some not (see Matthew 23:16-20). Why was Jesus opposed to oaths?
- What kinds of commitments do you think most people find the hardest to keep?
- How do we recover from those times when, for whatever reason, we fail to honor our commitments? Is restoration possible with God and with others? See 1 John 1:9.
- Rotating around your group, read each of the following passages aloud. What does each passage tell us about God as a keeper of promises? How might this change the way you relate to God this week? * Romans 10:13 * Isaiah 43:2 * Psalm 23:4 * Matthew 5:13-16 *Romans 8:38-39
- What’s one bite-sized commitment you can either make or renew? Are you willing to share this commitment with the group and invite their accountability?
Login/Register to leave comment