← back to list
Talk Discussion Guide: Jesus Uncensored #4 - Revenge
- Describe a time when you ‘turned the other cheek.’ How difficult was this for you?
- Read Deuteronomy 19:16-21. What was the intended purpose of this law in the time of Moses? Who had the right to administer proper punishment? How did this Old Testament law prevent personal revenge?
- Read Romans 12:17-19. What does this reading say about personal revenge?
- Read Matthew 5:38. How did the Pharisees misinterpret the Old Testament law regarding revenge?
- Read Matthew 5:39-42. How would you contrast our natural inclinations with the higher call that Jesus gives?
- Which of the four sections of Jesus’ teaching do you find most difficult? a. Release your right to personal dignity (vs.39); b. Release your right to cling to comforts (vs.40) c. Release your right to your own private lifestyle (vs.41); d. Release your right to exclusive ownership (vs.42)
- How do you ‘go the extra mile’ without others taking advantage of you? Share an example if you can.
- Are you more likely to err on the side of being a silent victim or seeking personal revenge? Share an example if you can.
- Read 1 Peter 2:21-23. How might the truth of this passage shape your behavior this week?
Login/Register to leave comment